Monday, November 2, 2009

A Fairy-tale in wax....




She is my Ellinor, Ellie for short, and my very favorite doll.

Ellie was made in England i the 1850's by a a doll maker called Pierotti. Her cloth body carries the stamp of the Pantheon Bazaar. She is a poured wax doll with her wax poured in many layers to achieve the translucent look, mimicking real skin. Her hair is blond mohair, inserted strand by strand, taking her maker more than two full weeks to complete.
Her eyes are beautiful pale blue glass eyes and seem to look straight at you. Her original silk dress is as fine as the day it was made; hand-stitched with piping in the style correct for an 1850's little 5 year old girl. Around her neck hangs a beautiful miniature Rosary.

Ellie once belonged to Helen Moe's Doll Museum, Hollywood, CA. 




2 comments:

  1. Anne - this doll is sooooooo beautiful. I love hearing about the old ones and when they were made and who they were made by. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Dixie....from me and from Ellie too. I hope to be able to present my dolls here on the blog, I don't have so many, but the ones I have I do love a lot.

    ReplyDelete